Tips and warnings before I get started
- Only drink pure bicarbonate of soda. Some commercial brnds of baking soda contain aluminum, which is harmful it ingested.
- Test your saliva or urine PH levels inexpensively with litmus paper, the pink and blue strips you may remember from high school science class. You can find these at drug stores.
- Do not take baking powder, it is NOT the same... baking powder contains other ingredients such as aluminum, which is harmful to your body.
- Avoid drinking sodium bicarbonate if you're on a sodium restricted diet or have high blood pressure, unless directed by a physician.
- Ask your doctor... if on prescriptions.
- Do not give to children under five years of age.
- Do not take on a full stomach.
There are interesting health benefits when you drink sodium bicarbonate, which is alkaline, in water. Viruses and diseases such as colds, flu, cancer and even heart disease thrive in an acidic body, but cannot survive when your body is alkaline. The 2009 Journal of the American Society of Nephrology revealed a study of 134 patients with advanced kidney disease. Taking baking soda daily dramatically slowed down the progression of kidney disease, resulting in no need for dialysis.
- To increase your body's PH take 1/4 tsp. of baking soda dissolved in one-half glass of water on an empty stomach, once in the morning and again before bedtime. Acidity and alkalinity is measured by PH, which ranges from 0 to 14 with 7.0 being neutral; a PH above 7.0 is alkaline, and below 7.0 is acidic. Baking soda has the highest PH of 14. Create a healthy body by keeping your body's PH between 7.1 and 7.5.
- Drink sodium bicarbonate and water solution at the very beginning of cold or flu symptoms, such as a runny nose or sneezing, to help kill the viruses. Keep your body alkaline by increasing fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- If you are an athlete, swallow sodium bicarbonate supplements with water to buffer lactic acid buildup and improve your exercise performance... ingest one to two hours before the event, drinking plenty of water.
- Drink a glass of water with half lemon or lime squeezed into it twice daily if your are unable to take sodium bicarbonate and water. Lemons and limes are acidic and become alkaline in your body, raising your alkalinity almost as well as baking soda.
- ...bicarbonate has been shown to decrease dental plaque acidity induced by sucrose and its buffering capacity is immportant to prevent dental cavities. Other studies have shown that bicarbonate inhibits plaque formation on teeth and, in addition, increases calcium uptake by dental enamel. This effect of bicarbonate on teeth is so well recognized that sodium bicarbonate containing tooth powder was patented in the USA, October, 1985.
- ...an ingestion of 300 mg/kg of body weight of bicarbonate before exercising will help you reduce muscular fatigue and so increase the performance of short-term physical exercise... (Remember to see above: take two hours before event... drink plenty of water)